Friday, May 05, 2006

MP3 legality blues... part 2

(But I don't really feel bad about videotaping stuff off TV, or speeding for that matter... well, actually, I do feel a slight little poke when I'm speeding... but I certainly don't feel like it's cutting me off from God...)

But here's a thought... the more I look in to it, this whole RIAA thing (or whatever they call themselves) seem to be really ... well, bad. Trying to control the whole music industry and everything... and I read that some artists are actually not against file sharing, and are actually trying to stop the RIAA from making it illegal, in particular in Canada. I mean... $1.69 for a digital download... I think that's a bit of a rip-off, really, considering that you can probably buy a lot of this music from a second hand store for even less than that. They make you pay about $18 for an album, which is about the same you'd pay at K-mart for a top 40 cd. I know a second hand shop where you can buy stacks of used cd's for $8, with no reduction in quality. (So, why can't they make digital downloads cheaper? Second hand mp3's... how does that work?) What are you paying for when you purchase an album? The physical media or the music? If it's the physical media, then why were CD's more expensive than cassettes by $10? Because CD's were better quality. But the actual medium... well, you'll probably find that it's cheaper to buy blank cd's than casettes! Hah!

Now... what is more unethical? Charging this much money for digital downloads?? Or downloading it free? Which is the lesser of two evils?? The bible says a lot about injustice and extortion, too... but it does also say render unto Caesar what is Caesars...

By the way - taping songs off the radio? That's illegal too! Illegal illegal illegal! Everything is bloody illegal!!

Anyway, sorry if this is all over the place, it's just my thoughts as they come out. I'd be interested to know yours... meanwhile, I better get to bed... it's 12.06am on Friday morning...

No comments: